Do you know the differences between astrology and tarot?
Most people think astrology and tarot are similar, but there are some major differences between the two.
First of all, we will look at astrology.
What is Astrology?
Astrology is a form of prediction (or forecast) based upon celestial bodies outside of planet earth. There is a famous saying in astrology “as above, so below”, meaning that human behaviour and events are believed to be linked with the motion of these heavenly bodies.
Astrology has evolved throughout the years. When it began centuries ago, astrologers would only take into account the motion of the sun. The position of the sun in the sky throughout the year would have provided clues on the best times to sow crops. Astrologers would then start linking the motion of the sun to people’s personalities, based upon the time of year they were born. Another obvious celestial body that ancient astrologers would focus on is the moon, believing it is linked with people’s emotions. Even today, some people believe you will notice more trouble on a night out when there is a full moon. As astrology evolved throughout the years, other celestial bodies were then taken into account, such as the planets, and even asteroids.
Astrologers interpret the motion of the sun, moon, and planets by drawing up a circular chart, known as a horoscope. These charts are created using mathematics, plotting each position of the sun, moon, and planets with precision. For example, when an astrologer is interested in knowing someone’s personality traits, they would draw up the horoscope chart at the time of someone’s birth using their date of birth, location of birth and time of birth. This type of horoscope chart is commonly referred to as a natal (or birth) chart. You can Download Your FREE Astrology Reading from JKS Astrology.
What is Tarot?
Tarot is an ancient art and belief that the spirit world can influence objects, therefore creating a form of communication between the tarot reader and afterlife. Every tarot reader uses a pack of playing cards, usually containing 78 individual cards. And just like a playing card deck, they have numbers, names, and suits for each card. You can get your FREE Tarot Reading right here.
There are many tarot card decks available, but all have one thing in common. They all have symbolic images on every card. The purpose of tarot is to answer a customer’s question or give them insight into a situation. The tarot reader will select some unknown cards at random, laying them out in a particular sequence. Then the cards will be interpreted by the tarot reader, getting meaning from the symbolic images on the cards. Now, one might say how on earth such a method could tell someone’s future. It can if you believe the spirit world wanted to reveal certain cards to the reader, and also wanted them to interpret the cards in a particular way! This is the basis of tarot. Even if you are not a believer, you will still be fascinated to know what they will say!
What are the Main Differences Between Astrology and Tarot?
Below is a summary of the main differences between astrology and tarot.
- Astrology is not based on the spirit world (afterlife), but rather on the positions of the sun, moon, and planets. Astrologers try to improve the accuracy of readings by collecting statistical data on how certain planetary positions may affect human behaviour or events.
- Tarot tries to gain insightful information about an individual or event by using the spirit world. As it is believed the spirit world can influence objects or even the thoughts of the tarot reader.
- Astrology requires accurate astrological data in order to construct horoscopes, which are used to interpret individuals or events. This involves the use of databases (with celestial positions) and software to generate accurate horoscope charts.
- Tarot only requires a special playing card deck, known as a tarot deck.
- Both methods give insight into an individual’s past, present or future situation. Or can even help determine an individual’s personality traits.
I hope you have enjoyed reading this article about the differences between Astrology and Tarot. Let us know in the comments below!
This is a guest post on behalf of Jamie, founder of JKS Astrology.